Friday, August 24, 2007

Old School Friday - The Randomness

It's another edition of the randomness. And it is rather random this week, as you will soon see. We got some west coast, some east coast, some south. We're all over the map here on Schizophrenic Friday at The Commission. Enjoy the madness.

The D.O.C. - The Formula


"High energy roll with the wisdom, sense of a rich man, knowledge and the rhythm. This is what I'm using to come up with a style so I'll interact altogether better with the crowd." Should've been one of the greatest of all time.




D-Nice - They Call Me D-Nice


What you know about the TR-808? This beat is so damn gangsta, my head's been bobbing for five minutes straight. We used to play this song on the bus, after school, religiously. Has anybody recycled this beat? Shit, I may have to do it my damn self:)




Brandy - I Wanna Be Down (Remix)


"About yea short. About yea tall. About so big. About so small." Umm OK La, sure you're talking about a dude:) Here's another song I heard everyday in the cafeteria freshman year. The original was so-so. But the remix was dope, I can't even lie. The video is tight, but there are a shitload of smudges from Hype Williams' fingerprints. Also, the Ray J cameo just cracks me up. Dude has been mad corny for 13 years. When your biggest claim to fame is pissing on Kim Kardashian, your life has gone awry at some point.




Three 6 Mafia - Tear The Club Up


"Mafia! Mafi mafia!"
The black version of the mosh pit. When this song came on, drunk blackfolk lost their collective minds. It was your chance to unleash all the frustration that had built up during the week. And frustration was indeed unleashed. Boy was it unleashed. Even listening to it now, I wanna punch somebody. But I'm the only person here, so that's not gonna pop off. But my keyboard is acting like it wants some!




The Roots - What They Do


One of the greatest videos of all time. How much of this still rings true? About 90% of it:) The Beatdown Shot is just classic.




Keith Murray - The Most Beautifullest Thing


"Don't worry, like Keith Murray I'm a strangle."
OK, I realize that beautifullest is not a word. Neither is conversate. Or hella, for that matter. But I give Keith a pass, cause the song is tight. And I don't want him to get in me. That would suck.




Goodie Mob - Cell Theory


"I wonder if the gate was put up to keep crime out, or keep our ass in."
My cousin bought this CD in the spring of '96, and didn't buy another one for a year. He listened to it everyday. Yes he is a little nutty to begin with, but that doesn't take away from the greatness of this album...or the insanity of Khujo. Dude was on that shit, for real.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Buzzsaw, by the Turtles. I recycled it. I'm calling dibs on that, alright!

Gangsta D said...

DAMN YOU, SML!!!! lol

Unknown said...

And, not that I imagine anyone would ever use this one, either, but... I'm recycling "Gloria" by Laura Brannigan, too. Just putting it out there.

I generally disapprove of re-using beats that have already been used (i.e. that Brick sample from "Put It In My Mouth" becomes "Video" by Indie.Arie) or using a sample that's blatantly well known (any of P.Diddy's 90's production, like taking a sample from The Police's best known song). But I allow for a few examples per album. Because that is, after all, what hip-hop was originally about - making old songs new again.

I was at a live free show yesterday - this Venezuela discofunk band, near the end of the show, did an instrumental version of the beginning of "Sweet Child of Mine", then busted into the salsa-fied version of the song for a minute, before going into their next song. That was pretty cool....

Gangsta D said...

OK, well you can't use "Josie" by Steely Dan. I'm working on that now:)