Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Let's Have Church


When I was a kid, I loved going to church just so I could hear the choir sing. I would sit behind the drummer pantomiming every drum beat, while soaking up the harmonies coming from the choir. I even loved going to choir practice with my mom. How nerdy is that? At any rate, that was a long time ago but i still have a certain soft spot in my cold heart for a good gospel choir. Which, in turn, brings me to Verizon Wireless' "How Sweet The Sound" church choir competition.

The 2009 How Sweet the Sound competition brings together choirs to perform and compete for a chance to earn the title of best church choir in their hometowns, a cash prize of up to $15,000, and the opportunity to represent their city in the grand finale concert later this year. How Sweet the Sound floor seats are $7 and lower- and upper-tier seats are available for $5. Performances will take place at the following venues this fall:

Houston – Sept. 19, Toyota Center
St. Louis – Sept. 21, Scottrade Center
Washington, D.C. – Sept. 24, Verizon Center
Newark, N.J. – Sept. 25, Prudential Center
Philadelphia – Sept. 26, Wachovia Center
Detroit – Sept. 28, Joe Louis Arena
Chicago – Sept. 30, United Center
Atlanta – Oct. 2, Philips Arena
Memphis, Tenn. – Oct. 5, FedExForum
Los Angeles – Oct. 8, The Forum
Oakland, Calif. – Oct. 10, ORACLE Arena

No comments: