Friday, August 31, 2007

Old School Friday - To The Westside

That's right, we're all about the west coast this week. I had to show some love to my brethren on the left coast. BUT, there is no gangsta rap this week. I have nothing against it, but just wanted to give a little different flava. Enjoy and be safe this weekend.

Suga Free - If U Stay Ready

To paraphrase Katt Williams, if you don't know who Suga Free is, I really don't know what the fuck you are doing with your life. Anyone who knows me, knows that I worship at the altar of Free. Forgive the hyperbole, but he might be the most underrated west coast cat of all time. His first two albums are so pure, I will not ever let ANYONE borrow them. EVER. Even when Jesus comes back, he's gonna have to get his copy from somewhere else.



Digital Underground - Doowatchulike


"Now if ya hungry, get yourself something to eat. And if ya dirty, then go take a bath. Messed up the line? Nope, sometimes I don't rhyme." Love this song and video. I always wanted to go to a party like this one. Waldini and my 21st birthday party came close, but there was no pool. I'm still holding out hope though.



Souls Of Mischief - '93 Til Infinity

This one is going out to my boy G-Nice, who's the biggest Heiro fan IN THE World. Seriously. Dude's bathroom towels had the Heiro insignia on them. He's married now, so hopefully the missus put the kibosh on that. Anyway, this song was the shit. Just a laid back groove with fresh lyrics. If I smoked, I would definitely smoke out to this.



Tha Alkaholiks - Make Room

"But chicks love them light-skinned rap niggas called the liks."
Unfortunately, not enough, cause these cats are UNDERRATED! They weren't on that gangsta shit so most people slept on them. Too bad. The could for damn sure spit.



The Luniz - I Got 5 On it


"Everytime I'm with Chris that fool rolling up a fatty, but the Tanquerey straight had me." That dude, I guess he's Chris, ALWAYS trips me out. He looks blowed as Hell. But I think everybody involved with this video was chiefing at one point during the shoot. You know Numb and Yuck were. You gotta be perpetually high to put a Maggie Simpson reference in a song about smoking weed.



MC Hammer - Pump It Up

Kiss my ass. This song is dope. Before Stanley Burrell became "Hammer" he was MC Hammer, and dropped jewels like this. You can hate all you want, but I bet your ass will be dancing at your desk in about 30 seconds.



Montell Jordan - Something For Da Honeyz

Lark Voorhies. Damn I'm gonna need a minute.

All right, I'm back. I always liked this better than "This Is How We Do It." It's just got that laid back groove you can't front. Even though Montell was never the most gifted singer, he definitely passes muster on this effort. Now, you guys watch the video. I'm gonna go back to thinking about Lark.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Close on two of them, but I would have picked other songs - for Hammer, "Turn This Mutha Out" was the song that put him on the map, before he jumped from the map to taking over the world.

As for Digital Underground - "Same Song". Tupac's debut.

Love the Lunizs. I did a post about them on one of my first posts... I still get excited when "I Got Five On It" gets played by my iPod. My favorite part of the video, besides the whale tale? The dude slamming the domino down, even though it's like only the fourth piece played in the game!

"Hey, man, just wait, man. Stop at the light..."

Gangsta D said...

True, but I think "Pump It Up" is a better overall song and the video has better choreography. But when it comes to Hammer's earlier videos, you really can't go wrong.

Doowatchulike holds a place in my heart, cause we used to bump that while playing Double Dribble.