Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Little Football And A French Lesson

Da Realist:

c'est vrai ce que miami joue texas a&m ce soir?

In other words... isn't there a game on tonight? where are the predicitons? LOL...

This is one of those extra thin weeks in college football. a couple of good matchups (s.c. vs lsu, kentucky vs arkansas, alabama vs georgia), but no blockbuster ones. this is the type of week that usually yields a big upset or two.

Waldini:

I guess I could actually clean up around the house for a change and just listen to the games while they're on. The LSU-SC might be good only cuz SC has a nice defense. But then again, VT supposedly did and look what happened to them.

Gangsta D:

You're really taking this French thing too far. ENGLISH! WE SPEAK ENGLISH IN THIS COUNTRY!!! lol

Their run game scares me. We're only 25th in the nation against the run, after being 4th last year. That being said, we have three DTs coming back from injury, so that should help up the middle. As usual, our LBs are fast so hopefully they help protect the corner.

Their pass defense is a joke and they give up 150 yards on the ground. Last week, the passing game showed strides so that's encouraging. Kyle just has to eliminate the TOs. The running game will be fine. We should run for 200 yards or close to it. We just have to score TDs in the red zone. We win a close one...24-20...hopefully:)

Da Realist:

LOL.. I'm just excited that all this work is starting to pay off. I went to a French meetup last night and held my own for 2 hours last night. :-)

Gangsta D:

All right. Here's a little test. Transcribe this song. No help from Google.



Da Realist:

Can't follow all the words... I hear words but can't put them into sentences. I would do better if i had the french words in front of me.

ne me quitte pas means don't leave me.

Gangsta D:

Ahhhhh! That's weak. You're no French aficianado:)

Da Realist:

Hey! I'm an INTERMEDIATE student, not a fluent speaker. I do everything EXCEPT listen to french music (listen to french radio, read french books, speak at meetups and watch french films).

Seriously, understanding spoken or sung french is harder than reading or speaking. I'm getting more and more used to hearing spoken french, but music has a different rhythm that takes some time to get used to.

There are even variations of spoken french that are harder than others. for instance, I attend a french meetup every friday night with native speakers from niger, benin, france, belgium and haiti. I can understand french from niger, france and belgium a lot easier than i can understand benin and haiti even though they are all speaking the same language.

Gangsta D:

Bi-lingual black people? What is the world coming to? Lol

Da Realist:

Man, you wouldn't believe how many of us over here are bi or multi-lingual. You wouldn't know it either because a lot of them don't have an accent at all.

By the way, did you two know AY spoke Arabic? yep.

I'm going to finally see what the big deal is and read a Harry Potter book. I'll read the french version so i'll kill two birds with one stone because i'll also be improving my vocabulary.

Gangsta D:

You're moving to a French speaking country once Da Kid graduates from college arent you? Lol

Da Realist:

I'm at a point where i wouldn't rule anything out. I'm just going to keep improving myself and see where it leads later on. If a well-paying job came along that required me to move to a french-speaking country for a little while (say, two years ) and i could bring my family along, I would certainly consider it. I love traveling more than i love doing anything else in this world. Learning other languages and other cultures is exciting to me. I was just telling Da Wife how I would love to visit Alaska to see the northern lights one year and visit again when they have light for 24 straight hours.

No comments: