Sunday, May 25, 2008

Favorite Playoff Moments - 1989 Eastern Conference First Round

This clip has been replayed over and over since the night I witnessed this game live on TV. It's not a favorite because of his Airness (I still hold a grudge since he and his Bulls CRUSHED my Lakers in the '91 Finals). It's one of my favorites because it was my introduction to watching a favored team (the Cavs) get upset in a playoff series with homecourt advantage, become demoralized, and never recover from that loss. It happened to the '91 Blazers, ''93 Knicks, 93 Suns, '94 Sonics, '95 Jazz, '99 Pacers, '02 Kings. The possible exceptions are the current Pistons squad for choking in '06 and '07 but they won a title BEFORE that happened.

Sure some of these teams eventually reached the Finals but they all came up short in their quest to stand on the podium with David Stern and become one of Ahmad Rashad's TRUE main men. If I'm a Hornets fan, I'd be very concerned right now :-)

No comments: