Monday, August 25, 2008

Leaders Of The New School - Bon Iver


What's up class? As most of you know I am an old school junkie. I honestly haven't listened to the radio for longer than five minutes in about two years. Consequently, I think I'm slipping into "Out of touch-30 year old-bitter" guy. I really don't want to be that guy. That guy sucks. Therefore, I've decided to expand my horizons. With the help of Paste Magazine, I'm going to take a look at a few of the cats they picked as emerging artists in music. Here we go.

Bon Iver

"There wasn’t any distraction. There wasn’t anybody for me to run to and say, ‘Hey look what I’m doing!’ As soon as you say something, as soon as you get excited about it and go tell someone, your ego is involved. Even the smallest fraction of that and you can kill some of the magic."

First things first. This cat's name isn't Bon Iver. Bon iver is a French phrase that means "good winter." Justin Vernon experienced a good winter when creating his album, "For Emma Forever Ago." He's from Eau Claire Wisconsin, so what else is he going to do besides spend 14-15 hours a day recording an album. At any rate, I have to admit that I'm liking this dude. I don't usually get into the "acoustic genre," if you will. But Bon has some serious soul, and he can definitely carry a tune. Check out "Lump Sum" below.

No comments: